Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Eight Years in the Faith, All Because of The God of Calvinism!


Eight years in the faith. June 5 is the day. Everyone who knew me ten years ago could easily spot the difference. I still wonder how I got here each time I think of it. I just know it wasn't because of me.

Sure, I did a lot of things, met and mingled with a lot of people, and learned a lot of things --- all of which became factors for this drastic change.  But the socio and the logic wouldn't suffice to alter one's nature (Jer. 13:23). There must have been a supernatural intervention. Far be it from me to give the credit to myself. Everything I am now is all by the grace of God (Eph. 2:8-9; 1 Cor. 15:10) so the glory is due to Him alone. And, aside from the fact that I find it biblical, I believe this is the main reason why I fell in love with this theological system known as "Calvinism", which was introduced to me in the early months of my Christian life.

Some people think the doctrine of Total Depravity downplays mankind's integrity. I see it as a biblical rationale for the domination of evil in my past and in this world. We may keep a blind eye towards this tragic reality but the dudes in the news confirm that sin often has the upper hand. Many think man is naturally good but in God's eyes,
“None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:10-12)
The more I acknowledge this fatal disease, the more I appreciate its cure. (see Rom. 3:21-26)

Most people deem Unconditional Election as hazardous to the justice and love of God. There God chose some for salvation while leaving others to condemnation. But to me it as a great display of both (Rom. 9:22-24). That God did not choose all shows his justice in punishing sinners. That God would choose me, rather than let me in my sinful nature choose him (as if I will) exalts God's love more. Like Spurgeon, I do not wonder why he chose to save some. I wonder more why he chose to save at all (for nobody deserves salvation) and why he chose me (for I don't deserve salvation).
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will." (Ephesians 1:3-5)

While others find Limited Atonement as an insult to Christ's great salvation,  I find Christ's cross more magnified through this doctrine. That Christ's death is intended and efficient only for His people[1] shows more of its power. It was Christ's cross that saved me, not I using the cross. Limited atonement implies that the cross of Christ actually saves, not just makes salvation possible. It actually saved me. 

"She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21)
"...the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood." (Acts 20:28)

Some think Irresistible Grace does no justice to man's freedom. I believe it marvelously restores it. Our will is free only insofar as it does what we decide and what we desire. Our will is just a servant of our intellect and affections. The problem is that both of these are captivated by sin (TD). Hence, that God would 'irresistibly' make me believe by changing my nature Him is freedom (i.e., from sin's power), not captivity.
"All that the Father has given me shall come to me..." (John 6:37)
"Your people shall be willing in the day of your power..." (Psalm 110:3)

Finally, while some think that Perseverance of the Saints discards man's responsibility, I believe it puts man's responsibility and God's sovereignty in a balance. Left on my own, I could've given up on this battle long ago. God knows that I can hardly finish anything worthwhile, let alone salvation! But thanks be to God who gives me security that can endure against all odds.
"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1:6)
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)

If only the five points of Calvinism (aka TULIP) would be understood in their proper contexts, they would beautifully shine 'cause Calvinism, biblically and logically, (1) exalts the grace of God the most, and (2) gives the glory to God the most

I praise God that I am now eight years in the faith (and counting). This is all because of Calvinism. Not the concepts themselves but the reality of them at work in the world and in my life. I believe that I have gone this far only because I have this God of Calvinism, who elected me despite my radical sinfulness, sent His Son to effectively die for me, called me by His powerful Spirit and will preserve me to the end.

-----------------------------------------------
[1] This does not discard the truth that Christ died sufficiently for all. (e.g., John 3:16; 1 John 2:2)

1 comments:

Post a Comment